a day-tour in suzhou

Post a question about Suzhou, its people, its culture, its entertainment, its food and any other stuffs you want to know!

a day-tour in suzhou

Postby ck3k » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 pm

I will drive from Shanghai to Suzhou with friends for one day tour after Christmas Day. Any suggestions for how we can tour the city would be much appreciated. Thanks.
ck3k

Re: a day-tour in suzhou

Postby tor.liu » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 am

If you drive it may take you about 2 hours from Hongqiao/Pudong airports, 86 km/120 km, respectively, to Suzhou. Take G308 then Su-Jia-Hong Expressway and you are around two famous watertowns, Tongli and Zhouzhuang, choose one of them to tour. When in Suzhou, choose 1 or 2 gardens/parks, Lingering, Humble Administrator, tiger Hill/Pagoda, any 1-2 of them are enough. If you still have time, find a walking street near the gardens in Suzhou downtown, Guanqian Street, Pingjiang Lu, whatever... to see its old town, temples, stoned-streets, stores, shops... Finally don't forget to find a restaurant to taste Suzhou' food. It's a full day schedule you may enjoy.
tor.liu
Baijue / Earl

Postby iamsaying1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:08 am

Always take expressways, there will be toll charges but no much traffic, save your time.
iamsaying1
Houjue / Marquess

Postby jenny ng » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 pm

It all depend on how u want to enjoys the city. Personally, I like to do slow, relax pace and just enjoys the moment. My favourite garden is the Humble administor garden and next door is the Mesuem design by I M Pei, the famous architect. Its very nice to do a picnic in the garden and really enjoy the atmosphere. Its always good to hire a guide to the garden for the 1st time , to understand its architecture and design concept/culture. Do the Mesuen first and garden later. After garden , late afternoon is bes time to do an hour boat ride nearby. But suggests to check the weather, if its too cold, u may not enjoys so much. I've been there only in spring/autumn.

I do not like the pedestrian mall, its too commercial. Restaurants by the lake in the new industrial city can be rather nice too.

Don't do too much in 1 day......

Have funs!
jenny ng
Nanjue / Baron

Return to Questions and answers