Weak beer in YZ

Looking for something fun to do? Some nice entertainment centers, clubs and restaurants, etc? Or you just want to chat about fun stuffs to do anywhere in Yangzhou? Post your message here!

Weak beer in YZ

Postby steesh182 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Why does YZ have such pathetically weak beer? I'm sure it's not the only place in China but it's difficult getting anything even close to 4.0%. Just been to Shanghai for a few days and was shocked my Qingdao was 4.1% or something. Is there any reason for this difference in beer strength anyone?
steesh182
Zijue / Viscount

Re: Weak beer in YZ

Postby alexss » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:53 am

I thought Qingdao was 5%. This beer factory was origianlly a Germany subsidiary in Qingdao long time ago and then became a state-run manufacture in 1950s.
alexss
Gongjue / Duke

Postby steesh182 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I wish it was mate! But here it's only a miserly 3.1%. I know they produce a lot of different types, but the regular stuff here is weak. The same regular stuff in Shanghai was stronger but still nothing special. Would be great if German's still produced it, I'm sure it would be a million times better!
steesh182
Zijue / Viscount

Postby liveuk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Most of Chinese beer brands have around 4% of alcohol. Try some Chinese liquuors, 39-52% percent of alcohol.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=532&start=0#p2680
liveuk
Houjue / Marquess

Postby steesh182 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 am

Lol not in YZ. Qingdao = 3.1%, Shan Shui = 3.1% and Snow = 3.1%. Though i did manage to find some Qingdao that was 4.1% today!!! I try to stay away from Chinese liqour though, Baijiu is a killer! :lol:
steesh182
Zijue / Viscount

Postby liveuk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 am

Do you have supermarkets or beer stores or hotels that are operated or owned by expats or foreign companies nearby your resident? You may get some imported beer brands out there.
liveuk
Houjue / Marquess

Postby laowai89 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Ok this post is 3 years old but just waiting to be answered - yes you can get decent imported beer here! Your 3 best options are:-

1. The big supermarkets - RT Mart, Tesco, Auchan, Wal Mart etc all carry imported beers - Tesco (in the basement of Lippo Plaza on Hanjiang Lu just north of the West Bus Station) has the best choice including Duvel, Leffe, Erdinger, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow Cider etc.

2. Metro -the big German cash and carry warehouse on Jiangyang Lu 1 block west of the West Bus Station - you need a members card to buy here so if it's your first visit bring your passport and business card in order to register as a member. They have a huuuuuuuuuge choice of imported beer but you can only buy mulitpacks, not individual bottles, however most work out at 15-20RMB per bottle as opposed to 25-30RMB a bottle in Tesco et al. They are also good for decent western style bread, cheese, meats etc.

3. The Ivy Food Store on Huaihai Lu (just north of the intersection with Siwangting Lu on the right side) usually has a small selection of German beers as well as a nice selection of imported foods (biscuits, chocolate, breakfast cereal, condiments etc) and prices are quite reasonable compared to imported food stores in Nanjing, Shanghai, Suzhou etc.
laowai89

Postby laopi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:19 pm

try the "Augerta 1903", a green/golden tin, 500ml, around 11 RMB, available in DA REN FA, Trust mart, TESCO, WALMART......
signature is under construction
laopi
Nanjue / Baron

Return to Lifestyle and recreation